The Choctaw were the original settlers of the county. The first European settlement was a hunting camp near Petit Gulf established in 1729. The first permanent settlement came in 1775 and the County was formed in 1802. Named for the Territorial Governor, Claiborne County was the third established in the state. Gibson's Landing was chartered in 1803 as the county seat.